Friday, July 19, 2013

Hello, I love you won't you tell me your name

Recently I misplaced my cell phone for an afternoon and was reduced to communicating with people by email.  I wrote to two people inviting them to meet for coffee  One I’d actually met in a coffee shop, but I realized after I’d sent the email, he probably didn’t remember that.  The other person had some interests in common with me and when I suggested we Link (if that’s the correct verb) she not only linked but did so via a very voluble email referencing her work experience and some of mine.  So I emailed suggesting coffee.  In both cases no response.  No problem.  In a week or so I might call them (hope it doesn’t scare them to death) chat a bit to reassure them I’m not a maniac and try the coffee invitation again. Or maybe not. But the experience is a reminder not to confuse “contact” on Linked in or “following” on Twitter, “friending” on Facebook etc.) with real in person contact, following (oops that might be stalking and both creepy and illegal)or becoming friends.

But that’s not really what I want to talk about.  I want to talk about the people who read my blog.  I was surprised when I looked at the numbers, to see my“ dear readers” to use an old-fashioned and nicely personal phrase, were more numerous than I’d expected.  What surprised me more is they come from all over the world. Recently I discovered I habe quite a few readers in Russia, Romania, China, Venezuela, and France (Vous allez bien?) as well as the U.S. .  I wonder why.And I wonder who you are as individuals, whether in the U.S. or another country.  You know me but I don't know you. And I'd like to.

Community is important to me. Communication is important to me too.  And with the exception of novels and other forms of literature, for me communication, as well as community, involve dialogue.  So here’s what it is.  I don’t want to feel as if I’m shouting into a megaphone with my blog: I’d rather feel like I’m having coffee with you individually. So to each of you out there in a very real some place, would you please introduce yourself?  Let  know why you read my blog or at least some of the posts and why? I’d love to hear what captures your imagination, what your passion is, how you spend your days. A sentence or two would suffice.  A paragraph or ten would be fine too.  You can comment or email me. Hide your identity if you want. I don’t care.  But I would like you to "meet" you.  That way, next time I write a blog post I’ll have you in mind and maybe even know whether to offer you coffee, tea or some red wine if we ever do meet. That would be nice. And thanks Jim Morrison, wherever you are, I love your song.

No comments: