Tuesday, October 01, 2013

What Has Candy Dots, a Red Velvet Chair, Homemade Doughnuts, and a Plate Decorated with Loony Tunes Characters?


By Nina Housman 

What has candy dots, a red velvet chair, homemade doughnuts and a plate decorated with Loony Tunes characters? Anna’s Country Store, in Fabius.
I landed there by accident while searching for the farm that provides my CSA share.  After turning around twice on a two-lane, 55 mile per hour twisting road, with fear in my heart and a cramp in my neck, I needed directions, so I went into Anna’s looking for help.

Joan is the proprietor.  She opened the place 15 years ago and added a back room full of antiques and collectibles on consignment five years later. (Anna was her grandmother, and photos of Anna hang on one wall).

Joan installed wood furniture as display cases, put personal mementos on the walls and provides many kinds of penny candy, grocery items,a deli, homemade cookies, cupcakes and doughnuts (fresh doughnuts are available weekends only). Joan says the people who work with her add a lot, like Marge, who does bakes homemade cupcakes, mops floors and more.

Prices are reasonable, with a daily lunch special, usually a hot sandwich, for about $3, which she explained to me is especially for the farm boys who don’t have much money. The subs and sandwiches are generous, reasonably priced: $5.25 or $6.50 for a half or whole sandwich/sub with veggie toppings among the freshest I’ve tasted. The dark chocolate truffles are melt-in-your-mouth good.

Joan says she keeps the store going because she’s found her place. If you drop by, you might find it’s one of your places, too. And by the time I left, Joan had asked someone for directions for me who turned out to be the owner of the farm I was looking for. So in addition to everything else, I even got what I’d come in for.

Anna’s Country Store, 7849 Main St., Fabius. Open seven days a week.

.

No comments: